Friday, June 13, 2008

Runaway Love

Author(s): Michael
Location: Oklahoma

“Runaway Love"


Directed by Paul Haggis
Adapted from the Song by Paul Haggis and Robert Moresco
Produced by Bob Yari and Robert Moresco

Principal Cast:

Lisa - Abigail Breslin
Mona (her mom) - Robin Wright Penn
Alan (the man she brings home) - Billy Crudup
Nicole - Ivana Baquero
Raul (her dad) - Javier Bardem
Mrs. Evans- Diane Lane
Stacy - Shareeka Epps
Erica - Charlie Ray
Toni (her mom) - Toni Collette
Nathan (the boy) - Jeremy Sumpter

Tagline: "Hell is a place called home”

Synopsis: I’m Lisa, I’m 9 years old, I’ve never met my dad and Mom is always taking drugs in the kitchen. She usually brings some guy home, but lately she’s been bringing Alan home. He always gets really mad, and then starts hitting Mom, and then usually he comes looking for me. The first time he tried to play house with me, he was the Dad and I was the Mom, it really hurt to, because he beat me and did other things to me too. I tried to tell Mom, but she didn’t believe me so the next time I didn’t let him, that didn’t go over well. He just hit me harder and did that other thing again and it hurt even more. I didn’t want to go through that again, so I got some clothes and packed, I was running away and never coming back.

My name is Nicole, I’m 10 years old. No one really ever paid attention to me at school especially the boys. Dad would always hit me with his fists and other objects, one of his favorites seemed to be his beer bottles. A couple of times my teacher Mrs. Evans noticed one of my bruises when she asked me about it, I told her that I accidentally fell in the backyard. One day, when I was walking down the hall, I met a girl named Stacy; she was like a sister to me. We told each other everything we cried together; her dad was even doing the same thing to her as my dad does to me. We also had these bracelets that we always wore that were made out of cardboard paper and we had our names written on them. Then, that day came, Stacy didn’t exactly live in the good part of town, there was a drive by shooting on the street where she lived, and Stacy was shot. It was then that I got some clothes and packed; I was running away and never coming back.

I’m Erica, and I’m 11 years old. Back at home, I was from the worse of part of town, my mom was working all the time and we still didn’t have any money. I was so stressed; I started popping X, my mom never found out though. My so-called boyfriend Nathan and I were finally taking it to the next step, I was in love. We didn’t use protection, but I thought he was in love too so it wouldn’t matter. Later, I found out I was pregnant, when I told him, he backed out and started flirting with other girls. I didn’t know what to do; I knew Mom would go crazy; we didn’t have money for an abortion. I didn’t have a choice, I got some clothes and packed, I was running away for good and never coming back.

What the press would say:

All I can say is wow; this masterpiece is one of the best things I have seen on screen in a long time. Emotional is only scratching the surface of how this film is, it is so much more. You feel these characters, you identify with these stories, even if you haven’t experienced where the stories go, you still identify with it. Director Paul Haggis has done it again, a phenomenal piece of cinema that will go down in history as one of the greatest ensemble films, and one of the most powerful films of all-time. His direction pointed this film the right way, one of the rare things we see in film today. One of the best parts of the film was that Paul did similar shots and actions with the characters. For instance, every girl had a scene where they were crying and thinking about what to do. They also had pretty much the same packing scene too. I thought it was very impressive that Haggis chose to do that. Haggis also penned the script along with writer Bobby Moresco, and the script is fantastic. The screenplay is so fantastic in the way it handles telling the stories concurrently, in a lot of ensemble dramas you are confused about the different characters and their stories because they are so similar or so confusing. This is nothing like those ensemble dramas; it is easy to understand the characters and all happening at the same time. The lines are moving and a simple scene of Lisa crying is heartbreaking when most times you just sit and stare at the screen.

Speaking of Lisa, played by Abigail Bresnan, this is another amazing performance out of this young actress. She started it off with Little Miss Sunshine and she has taken off. This has established her career that is sure to become even better as the years role on. She is able to transform herself into the character and just the simple things she does are powerful, which is something I expect out of Meryl Streep. Along with Abby, Ivana Baquero gives another great performance in the same respect as Bresnan. These children gave gifts that are just astounding and are both terrific in everything they do. Charlie Ray hasn’t done much work, but she was in a little film called Little Manhattan. She gives a breakout performance in this film, which I think most of us can relate to, rather than the latter two. The scene where her “boyfriend” tells her he doesn’t want to have a baby is just great, and afterwards when she is crying in the bathroom is extraordinary.

Overall, this is a unique movie that is tear jerking, emotional, and everyone will be talking about it. Runaway Love is this year’s must see film, The best of the year!

FYC:

Best Picture
Best Director- Paul Haggis
Best Adapted Screenplay- Paul Haggis
Best Actress- Abigail Bresnan
Best Actress- Ivana Baquero
Best Actress- Charlie Ray
Best Supporting Actress- Toni Collette
Best Supporting Actress- Shareeka Epps
Best Supporting Actor- Billy Crudup
Best Ensemble (SAG)
Best Picture Drama (GG)

No comments: